Sixteen-year-old high school student Soli is reaching for the stars with her love for astronomy and physics. Soli shares how upgrading to the off-the-ear Cochlear™ Kanso® 2 Sound Processors boosts her confidence and helps her enjoy music, school and time with friends.
Soli loves to stargaze – to see the universe through her telescope. “The stars have always reminded me of the things that make me who I am … to know that even though we are so small, we still exist and we still matter.”One of the things that makes Soli the person she is today are her cochlear implants. She received her first at 18 months old and her second at age five. Since that time, Soli’s parents upgraded her original Cochlear Nucleus® Freedom® Sound Processors to Nucleus® 5 and Nucleus 6 Sound Processors. Most recently, Soli chose to upgrade both ears to Kanso 2 Sound Processors.1
“I absolutely love the fact that the processor is off the ear. It’s very sleek, it’s a very nice design, and I can wear my glasses and wear a mask throughout the pandemic without so much being on my ear.” She has also been able to get more ear piercings, something that was not possible with her previous behind-the-ear sound processors.
Hearing new sounds
When Soli first got her Kanso 2 Sound Processors, she was amazed at the sounds she could pick up. “Immediately I could start hearing differences in sounds – the tiniest little whisper from the air conditioner or talking in conversations in other rooms. The quality of sound in the Kanso 2 (Sound Processors) is a huge advancement from the quality of sound in previous sound processors, because it’s much more crisp; it’s much more sharp.” Soli also finds it much easier to have conversations at school and with her co-workers. “I have been able to hear my teachers and my classmates better. And no matter where I’m seated in the room or wherever I may be in the school, I can just hear conversations so much better.”
Boost in confidence
The improvements in hearing performance Soli has experienced with her Kanso 2 Sound Processors have also given Soli a boost of confidence. “There’s not that awkwardness of missing out on something and realizing it later … or messing it up, like plans or a family event.”
Hearing became easier
Soli loves music. As a teenager, it’s one of the things she is most thankful to be able to hear with her cochlear implants. The direct Bluetooth® streaming capability of her new sound processors has made “listening to music an unbelievable experience … it’s so easy!”2 Once the Kanso 2 Sound Processors are paired with a compatible smartphone or audio device3, music or phone calls go straight to Soli’s iPhone®, without the need for any extra accessories.4
The battery life of her Kanso 2 Sound Processors is something that Soli has found to be “incredible” – it’s something that’s been very helpful for her astronomy ‘expeditions’.5 “Because the Kanso 2 (Sound Processors) are rechargeable, the portable charger makes it easy to charge them on the go. Especially if we go hiking or go on a road trip and go out somewhere that we may not have a direct power outlet … it is so helpful.”
“Just like the stars, the Kanso 2 Sound Processor reminds me of what I have to explore, what I have to hear and what more there is to come.”
Watch more of Soli’s story.
Interested in upgrading to the Kanso 2 Sound Processor? Learn more here.
- The Kanso Sound Processor is compatible with the Nucleus Profile Plus, Nucleus Profile Series, CI500 Series, CI24RE (Freedom) Series, CI24R and CI24M implants. The Kanso Sound Processor will not be compatible with the Nucleus® 22 (N22) Implant due to the Kanso Sound Processor’s size and coil type.
- The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Cochlear is under license.
- The Cochlear Nucleus Kanso 2 Sound Processor is compatible with Apple® and Android™ devices. For compatibility information visit www.cochlear.com/compatibility
- Apple, the Apple logo, Apple Watch, FaceTime, Made for iPad logo, Made for iPhone logo, Made for iPod logo, iPhone, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
- Battery life may vary by individual.