We often talk about using insurance coverage to access the latest technology, but what options do you have if you are considering paying out-of-pocket for your sound processor upgrade? Let’s explore more about self-paying.
The Cochlear™ Nucleus® 7 and Kanso® 2 Sound Processors are designed to help you hear your best in any environment and easily connect with technology and the people you love. If you’re ready to hear your best, there’s no better time to consider the latest sound processor technology.
There are a few reasons you may decide to self-pay for a new sound processor — maybe you don’t have insurance coverage or maybe your insurance has said it’s not yet time for you to upgrade1. If you don’t want to wait to access the latest in sound processor technology, paying out-of-pocket might be right for you.
Options to help pay out-of-pocket costs
- Trade-In: Trade-in a non-obsolete Nucleus 7 or Kanso 2 Sound Processor to reduce the price of your sound processor upgrade by $3,000 USD ($3,500 CAD) for a discounted self-pay price of $6,775 USD ($8,130 CAD)2. If you prefer to keep your existing sound processor, the self-pay price is $9,775 USD ($11,730 CAD).3 4
- Flex Spending Account (FSA): An FSA is a pre-tax savings account you establish through your employer for out-of-pocket medical expenses. You may establish an FSA during your employer’s insurance open enrollment period. FSA funds can only be used for medical expenses not covered by insurance, and the funds do not carry over year to year. You can save money by using these pre-tax dollars to pay for a qualifying sound processor upgrade. You will need to confirm if an FSA if offered through your employer.
- Health Savings Account (HSA): If you have a high-deductible health plan (HDHP), an HSA can allow you to put aside money for out-of-pocket medical expenses. Additionally, some employers even contribute a set amount or make matching contributions to help fund an HSA account. You may establish an HSA during your employer’s insurance open enrollment period. HSA funds can only be used for medical expenses not covered by insurance. HSA funds can be carried over year to year and earn interest, making them a great option to plan for larger medical expenses.
- CareCredit®5: A healthcare credit card used to pay for medical expenses not covered by insurance. It is different than a regular credit card because there are special financing options available that you may not be able to get with other cards. CareCredit offers interest-free financing plans6 that can spread payments over 6, 12, 18 or 24 months to help fund out-of-pocket medical expenses. Longer period terms, up to 60 months, are also available for eligible purchases at fixed interest rates.
“Don’t wait. All the technology that the Nucleus 7 has is what I’ve been waiting for the past ten to twelve years. The Made for iPhone® compatibility allows me to stream audio from my phone straight to my processor. I love the ease of connection.” Shane, Nucleus 7 Sound Processor upgrade recipient
Get your order started by clicking here
- Self-pay options are not intended for individuals who wish to seek insurance coverage from Medicare, Medicaid, VA, Kaiser or Tricare.
- You may trade-in one (1) non-obsolete Nucleus Sound Processor when you choose to self-pay. This offer excludes upgrade orders placed through Reimbursement & Insurance Services. Limit 1 trade-in per order.
- Cochlear is pleased to offer this discounted cash price when self-paying directly with Cochlear. This price does not apply when placing an upgrade order through Cochlear’s Reimbursement & Insurance Services. The Reimbursement & Insurance Service is a Premium Service. Upgrade will be billed to your insurance at the existing list price for the upgrade. Coverage and out-of-pocket expenses will vary depending on your insurance benefit coverage. Please make your selections on colors, sizes, and other options prior to placing your upgrade order. Pricing subject to change at any time. The following states require that sales tax be charged on upgrade orders: Alabama, South Carolina, Illinois, and Delaware. Note: This price does not include any additional fees that may be incurred during the programming of the processor with your hearing healthcare provider. Products can be returned or exchanged within 90 days of your upgrade shipment date at no charge.
- Please keep in mind, if you choose to self-pay today, you may not be able to submit a claim to your insurance on your own if Cochlear is contracted with your private insurance provider. Visit www.Cochlear.com/US/InsuranceList to see if Cochlear is contracted with your insurance provider. If Cochlear is contracted with your insurance provider, we suggest placing your order through Cochlear’s Reimbursement & Insurance Services.
- CareCredit® is a registered trademark of ©2021 Synchrony Bank. All Rights Reserved. Subject to credit approval. Minimum monthly payments required. See carecredit.com for details.
- Interest-free is only applicable if the balance is paid in full prior to terms expiring. Subject to credit approval. Minimum monthly payments required. See carecredit.com for details.