Have you seen our new “I Want You to Hear” videos on social media?
If not, check them out here.
We created the “I Want You to Hear” video series because we wanted to explore the emotional journey for parents and children of what it’s like to find out your child is born deaf/has hearing loss and what it’s like navigating the new world of hearing loss.
From deciding on hearing implants, learning to speak and listen, to seeing your child thrive with the help of hearing implants, families in our videos discuss those topics together. Now, we want to encourage our Cochlear Family to have those conversations as well.
If you want to participate and make your own video, here’s our “I Want You to Hear” discussion guide to get you started:
Questions for child to ask parent:
- How did you feel when you learned you were going to have me?
- What did you first think when you learned I was deaf/have hearing loss?
- Did you ever have any fears about my future when you learned I was deaf/have hearing loss?
- Was it hard for you to decide to get a cochlear implant/Baha for me? How did you make that decision?
- Do you remember the first time I heard? How did you feel?
- What did you want me to hear the most when you knew I could hear with my cochlear implant/Baha?
- What do you hope for my future now?
Questions for parents to ask the child:
- What’s your first memory of knowing you are deaf/have hearing loss?
- What’s your favorite thing to hear me say to you?
- What’s your least favorite thing to hear me say to you?
- Do you have a first memory with your cochlear implant/Baha?
- Do you feel different from your sibling or other kids because of your cochlear implant/Baha? In what way?
- What’s your favorite thing about your cochlear implants/Baha?
- When you think about your future, what do you think about?